Hello, Salesians of Don Bosco!
Arthur Lenti: Memory, Presence, and Hope
FR. TOM UZHUNNALIL, HOME!
We praise and thank God and Mary, Help of Christians for bringing him home!
(ANS – Mumbai) – October 3, 2017 – While Fr Tom Uzhunnalil’s return is celebrated in a rich and festive series of official appointments in the Indian state of Kerala, news of a prestigious tribute is announced, an honor to the Salesian missionary’s work: the assignment of the “Mother Teresa Award 2017” for his “compassion” and “the dedication and commitment” of his work “in a place of great danger.”
Announcing the award was Abraham Mathai, President of the “Harmony Foundation”, organization based in Mumbai, which since 2007 confers the award in memory of Mother Teresa of Calcutta; of great symbolic value, indeed, considering that Fr Tom worked in Yemen together with the Missionaries of Charity – the Congregation founded by Mother Teresa – and was abducted on March 4, 2016, while inside one of their centers, where four religious died in the attack.
Fr Tom receives the award on December 10 in Mumbai. He was chosen “for the inspiring example of compassionate humanity, and for having continued to work for the elders of the Missionaries of Charity in Yemen, despite having had the opportunity to leave the country. (…) We praise Fr Tom’s dedication and commitment for work in a location of great danger, where his colleagues were murdered in cold blood,” said the foundation in a written statement.
The Harmony Foundation, founded in 2005 to promote and spread ideas of peace, dialogue and community support without distinction of religion, caste, gender or ethnicity, has in the past awarded the prize to individuals and organizations committed to human rights, such as the Dalai Lama, Doctors Without Borders, and the very young Nobel Peace Prize Malala Yousafzai.
Meanwhile, Fr Tom is still engaged in official activities in India, and in Kerala, his state of origin. In each of his scheduled events so far, the Salesian continues to surprise for his clear and peaceful Christian testimony, and for his declared willingness to carry out God’s plan for his life in the future.
Yesterday, he returned to Ramapuram, the village where he was born. Welcomed by a large celebratory crowd, with numerous civil and religious authorities, Fr Tom had to climb on a small, uncovered vehicle to be able to greet and thank all those present.
- Blessed are you… January 29, 2023
- Walk by Faith! January 28, 2023
- Persevere in Prayer January 27, 2023
- A fruitful mission happens when we love each other January 26, 2023
- Proclaim Jesus with your life! January 25, 2023
- January 23: Catholic feast day called “The Espousal of Mary and Joseph.” January 24, 2023
- Happy Feast Day of Saint Francis de Sales! January 24, 2023
- EoF launches second reading marathon for women in Iran and Afghanistan January 28, 2023
- Retired general Pavel wins Czech presidential elections January 28, 2023
- Tensions high after shooting attack in East Jerusalem January 28, 2023
- The Lord's Day Reflection: 'Jesus' poverty of spirit is our blessing’ January 28, 2023
- Cardinal Parolin: Reconciliation at heart of Pope’s journey to Africa January 28, 2023
- Pope asks Spanish priests to reject careerism and seek fraternity January 28, 2023
- DRC: The Apostolic Voyage and the Okapi. January 28, 2023
- Pope sends letter to Fr. James Martin on homosexuality and sin January 28, 2023
- ‘Great sense of hope’ ahead of Pope’s visit to South Sudan January 28, 2023
- Parolin: Fidelity to Jesus key to effective Catholic communication January 27, 2023