Resources of all kinds – for apostolate, formation, and personal enrichment – even including links to our teen- and youth-friendly Salesian Retreat Centers and Marian Shrine webpages, as well as a variety of official publications to come to know better the Salesian Family and its charism, mission, and spirit.
This resource will grow and become ever more efficacious through your sharing of what you have made (or inherited). Please contact us if you have materials (written texts, music, videos, power points, etc., etc., etc.) which will be of use in our Salesian mission and prayer life. Of course, whatever we post here must respect copyright laws.
Books, Articles, Papers, Power Points, and Prezis on Salesian Spirituality, Salesian Pedagogy, Youth Ministry, and Don Bosco You will need to sign up for a free account. The resources by Fr. Michal Vojtas, SDB, are stupendous in and of themselves. You will also gain access to 1000s of other excellent resources.
REFLECTIONS ON OUR LADY
For Novenae, Prayer Services, Rosaries, etc., please see those specific categories under “Prayer Life” here below
MARY HELP OF CHRISTIANS
DON BOSCO’S PRAYER TO MARY HELP OF CHRISTIANS (LATIN)
O MARIA VIRGO POTENS
O Maria, Virgo potens: Tu magnum et praeclarum in Ecclésia praesidium;
Tu singulare Auxilium Christianòrum; Tu terribilis ut castròrum acies ordinata;
Tu cunctas haéreses sola interemisti in univérso mundo;
Tu in angustiis, Tu in bello, Tu in necessitatibus, Nos ab Hoste pròtege,
Atque in aetérno gaudio, In mortis hora suscipe. Amen.
DON BOSCO’S PRAYER TO MARY HELP OF CHRISTIANS (ENGLISH)
O Mary, Most Powerful Virgin:
Great and Illustrious Defender of the Church;
Wonderful Help of Christians;
Formidable as an army in battle array;
You who alone have overcome every heresy in the world;
in our anguish, in our combats,
in our difficulties,
Defend us from the Enemy,
and at the hour of our death, receive our souls into Paradise. Amen.
Mary Help of Christians
Monthly Marian Reflections from the FMA on the 24th
September 2018: We are True Images of Our Lady FR IT SP PT
Not Sisters, but Daughters of Mary Help of Christians FR IT SP PT
Maria, Auxilium Christianorum, ora pro nobis!
When people asked for some special grace Don Bosco used to say: “If you wish to obtain graces from the Blessed Virgin, make a novena” (MB IX, 289). This novena, according to him, had to take place if possible “in church, with lively faith” as an act of fervent homage to the Eucharist.
According to Don Bosco, for the novena to be efficacious, the dispositions of the soul should be as follows:
Do not put your hope in human forces but have faith in God.
The request should be made to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, fount of grace, kindness and blessing, and with trust in the power of Mary whom God wishes to be honored on earth in this temple.
Always add the intention “Thy will be done” and the condition “if it is for the good of the soul of the person being prayed for”.
Pray three times in a row daily for 9 consecutive days the following sequence of prayers:
Our Father… Hail Mary… Glory Be… (to the Holy Eucharist) followed each time by the short prayer: “Blessed and praised every moment be the Most Holy and Divine Sacrament.” Hail Holy Queen… followed each time by the short prayer: “Mary Help of Christians, pray for us.”
Personal Conditions required:
1. Approach the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist. (NB – when possible, given the virus)
2. Give an offering or do some work to support the apostolate, preferably on behalf of youth.
3. Renew your faith in Jesus in the Eucharist and devotion to Mary Help of Christians.
THE FIRST RECORDED MIRACLE OBTAINED THROUGH PRAYING THE NOVENA TO MHC
As soon as Don Bosco received the building permit [to build his church in honor of Mary Help of Christians], he entrusted the construction to Charles Buzzetti and work began. In May , the cost of land and of lumber needed to fence the site on three sides, leaving only an exit on Via della Giardiniera, amounted to four thousand lire.
Don Bosco called Father Angelo Savio, his economer, and bade him to go ahead with the excavations. “But Don Bosco,” Father Savio objected, “this is no chapel. It is a huge, costly church. This morning we did not have enough money to buy even postage stamps.”
“Never mind,” Don Bosco rejoined. “Get started! Did we ever begin anything with money on hand? Let’s leave something to Divine Providence!”
Father Savio obeyed. Since the church was to have a basement and this meant excavating and carting away some four thousand cubic yards of soil, only part of the work could be done in 1863. Meanwhile Don Bosco was in difficulties because several wealthy townspeople, who had first promised generous donations, were changing their minds and diverting their contributions to other causes, while others were not going to come through until later. A one thousand lire payment for the first two weeks of excavation was due within days. Divine Providence did something. Don Bosco was suddenly called to the bedside of a woman who had been wracked for three months by fever and a persistent cough. “If I could feel even a little better,” she gasped, “I’d make any sacrifice. Just to get out of bed would be a vast relief.”
“What would you do for that?” Don Bosco asked her.
“Whatever you say.”
“Make a novena to Mary, Help of Christians.”
“What prayers must I say?”
“Three Paters, Aves, and Glorias in honor of the Blessed Sacrament for nine days, and three Salve Reginas to the Blessed Virgin.” “Fine! And what work of mercy?”
“If you should truly feel better, make a contribution to the Church of Mary, Help of Christians now being built in Valdocco.”
“Most willingly, if during the novena I can leave my bed and walk about my room a little.”
On the evening of the last day of the novena, Don Bosco had to have one thousand lire for wages. He again called on the sick woman. A maid met him at the door and joyfully told him that her mistress had recovered completely, had taken two walks, and had been to church to thank God.
While she hurriedly told him all this, the lady herself came to meet him. “I am cured,” she exclaimed jubilantly. “I’ve already gone to church. Here is a little something I promised. There will be more.”
Don Bosco took the little package. Back at the Oratory, he found that it contained fifty gold napoleons worth a thousand lire.
From then on, as we shall see, Our Lady granted so many and such varied graces to those who contributed to the construction of Her church in Valdocco that one might well say She built it Herself: Aedificavit Sibi domum Maria. (The Biographical Memoirs, vol. VII, pp. 279-280)
BASILICA PRAYER - LATIN
ORA PRO POPULO
INTERVENI PRO CLERO
INTERCEDE PRO DEVOTO FEMINEO SEXU
SENTIANT OMNES PECCATORES TUUM IUVAMEN
QUICUMQUE TUUM SANCTUM IMPLORANT AUXILIUM.
BASILICA PRAYER - ENG.
COME TO THE AID OF THE POOR,
HELP THE FAINT OF HEART,
REVIVE THE SORROWFUL,
PRAY FOR YOUR PEOPLE,
INTERVENE FOR THE CLERGY,
INTERCEDE FOR CONSECRATED WOMEN.
MAY ALL SINNERS KNOW YOUR HELP
AS DO ALL WHO IMPLORE YOUR HOLY AID. AMEN.
- “Don Bosco Global Youth Film Festival”, skyrocketed participation and enthusiasm: deadline extended September 17, 2021
- The New Things of the Kingdom of God… September 17, 2021
- Complete Synod 2023 Preparatory Document – Vatican News September 16, 2021
- Listening to the Faithful: Vatican releases Synod Preparatory Document – Vatican News September 16, 2021
- United States – The B.E.S.T. of the “Don Bosco Prep” September 16, 2021
- All set for Official Opening of 24th General Chapter of Daughters of Mary Help of Christians September 16, 2021
- XXIV General Chapter of Daughters of Mary Help of Christians September 15, 2021
- Pope: ‘Fraternity and social doctrine rooted in God’s love for humanity' September 28, 2021
- Australian Church backs Uluru Statement for a ‘First Nations Voice' September 27, 2021
- Cardinal Gregory: ‘These are the people I am called to love, care for, serve' September 27, 2021
- Pope sends condolences upon death of Brazilian Cardinal Falcão September 27, 2021
- Pope urges choices that ensure food, healthcare, living conditions for the poor September 27, 2021
- Pope on Diocesan Youth Day: ‘Arise, bear witness to Jesus with your lives’ September 27, 2021
- Pope prays for residents of La Palma island after volcanic eruption September 26, 2021
- Migrants freezing to death at Polish-Belarus border September 26, 2021
- Migrants & Refugees Day: Pope calls for ‘more inclusive world’ September 26, 2021
- Pope at Angelus: Christian communion built by welcoming, not dividing September 26, 2021