Dear Catholic Charities Supporters and Friends,
On August 24th, as our building was burning, we were not sure of what the future of Straight and Narrow would look like. We can now say, that it will be bright.
We are continuously grateful to the first responders of the City of Paterson and beyond, who assured that everyone was safe and secure. God was by our side on that day.
Our staff did not miss a beat with regard to continuing to provide rehabilitation services throughout all of Straight and Narrow.
Our men who were receiving treatment in our Halfway House are still receiving treatment at an alternate location of ours. We are putting the pieces back together for this program and, thanks to your support and the support of community organizations, we have been able to:
- Provide $125 in gift cards from the Red Cross
- Provide Shoprite gift cards courtesy of Catholic Family and Community Services
- We have supplied our individuals with laundry bags and have coordinated off site laundry services, as we restore laundry services, in-house
- We have purchased new kitchen appliances and needed items
- An X-Box, Blue Ray player, DVD’s, and a new television have been provided for recreational use
- In addition to thousands of articles of gently used clothing and new toiletry items, several companies and groups have provided new items including a generous donation from Freedom Industries
- We are working with our insurance company to assure that each individual affected by the fire is appropriately compensated
- Our individuals from our Halfway House have been able to use Father English Center as a place where they can pickup your generous donations of items
The support from the community has been non-stop since day one. In a future update, we will share with you a listing of many of the organizations and community groups that have helped us. There are so many kind individuals to thank.
Bishop Serratelli and the entire Diocese of Paterson continue to offer their support. 10% of all funds raised in this year’s Bishop’s Annual Appeal will benefit Straight and Narrow’s recovery efforts, in addition to what Catholic Charities currently receives from the appeal. Paterson Diocesan Faithful are encouraged to give to the appeal at https://rcdop.org/baa.
Your support is still needed to help the men in our Halfway House and all of those who have been impacted by this fire. For more information please visit www.ccpaterson.org/snfire. For an updated listing of needed items please visit www.ccpaterson.org/snwishlist.
We are also in need of volunteers to come to our Father English Center donation drop-off site to help us sort though and organize the many, many donated items. If you would like to volunteer please call (973) 737-2077 ext.403.
We are so blessed to have received support from so many communities, including the faithful of the Diocese of Paterson, many different religious groups, the recovery community, the City of Paterson and more. Thanks to you that we are able to provide help and create hope for those in need.
Diocese of Paterson
Chief Executive Officer